Tuesday 12 August 2008

De burladores y burlados

Tres cosas tienen preso
de amores mi corazón:
mi bella Inés, el jamón
y las berenjenas con queso.

Unknown (11/08/2008)

After going with my granpa to pick the eggs that our hens had just laid, my father drove us to Alcántara to attend two shows: Zarzuela and classical theatre. In the theatre we admired again the impressive background formed by the Conventual de San Benito (St Benito's Temple), main site of the Orden de Alcántara (medieval monk-knight club), and we laughed at a series of comical pieces called entremeses (from which I took the cite above).

This morning I worked with my father putting up stone walls at my granparents' country estates. They are not worth much (don't think my family are rich landowners), but they are important for my father and my grandpa, so all brothers work a bit every holiday. As my mother says, we ought to be able to do anything in this life.

It is tough to work at 35C, but I guess that (apart from the fact that millions of other people are worse off than I am) I am proud of my brew of knowledge from country and town life. Sitting next to me at my dad's village's library a kid is teaching a twenty-something pretty village gal how to use Hotmail, which would be unthinkable of a town gal. On the other hand, there are townie kids who don't know where eggs and milk come from beyond the supermarket. Proper education should bridge the country-town gap, which has a lot to do with the adequate development of a person.

Love and freedom.

No comments: