Wednesday 9 May 2007

Lake District's daffodils.

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er Vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:-
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company:
I gazed-and gazed-but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude,
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the Daffodils.


William Wordsworth, "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud".


Last bank holiday I visited the most famous nature destination in Great Britain: the National Park of Lake District in Cumbria, England. This gorgeous region, full of lakes, sheeps and tourists, is home to the romantic poetry group of the Lake Poets, formed, among others, by W.Wordsworth, S.T.Coleridge, and R.Southey.

However crowded, I enjoyed the time as the companion and landscape were lovely and it made me feel closer to my roots at the countryside. Although being one-thousand wonders' City, no cow's utterly full udders can be seen in London. Que yo sepa.

No comments: