Sunday 13 July 2008

On one Slovenian blogger

Hidden costs drive me mad, but the total is still lower than elsewhere.
[...] All hidden charges included they are still by far the cheapest. To be honest... ridiculously cheap.


Klemen Drole (10/07/2008)



One of my work mates, a bright Slovenian lad, maintains a blog as a way to keep in touch with his friends back home. He writes his posts in Slovenian as his blog's primary target are Slovenian-speakers. Unfortunately, that election of language limits his potential audience and keeps us, non-Slovenian speakers from reading what he writes. It's the same dilemma that I faced when I started this blog, though my solution was different from his as I decided to write in English (explanation and reasons deferred for a future post). In any case, I had a quick chat about this with him the other day during my company's Summer ball and it seems the the conversation has given him food for thought.



Well, he's written his second post in English, precisely about one of my favourite topics (unfair ranting against corporations) and I was finally able to comment it (comment copied below).

Thanks for switching every now and then to English, mate: lots of your non-Slovenian acquaintances will now be able to understand your crazy
thoughts.

I hear lots of people complain about the hidden charges (not hidden costs - where were they before?) of the low-cost (rather no-frills) airlines. But I get worked up with their double standards with the benefits of capitalism/globalisation, because your conclusion is right: they are still ridiculously cheap. Just try and tell any of our parents that we'd be flying to countries ever-further away at an average of 6-8 flights per year!! They'd say we were crazy. But that's what we do now. People's memory is weak.

As Adam Smith (Lord have him in His glory) wrote, it isn't thanks to benevolence of the butcher that we have our dinner on the table, but thanks to his self-interest!!
You know what: long life to the colourful, low-cost airlines that enable us live the dream and live the world!! No matter how they do it, our freedom of choice is enhanced.


Love and freedom.

No comments: