Thursday 31 July 2008

Breakfast at Tiffany's

It's a bore, but the answer is good things only happen to you if you're good. Godd? Honest is more what I mean. Not law-type honest - I'd rob a grave, I'd steal two-bits off a dead man's eyes if I though it would contribute to the day's enjoyment - but unto-thyself-type honest. Be anything but a coward, a pretender, an emotional crook, a whore: I'd rather have cancer than a dishonest heart. Which isn't being pious. Just practical. Cancer may cool you, but the other's sure to.

Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958)


I just finished Capote's controversial short novel on the finest "girl-about-New York" that ever was: Holly Golightly. Now I feel ready to watch one of the best films of all times displaying Audrey Hepburn breakfasting at Tiffany's. Julie Roberts needs to learn so much from both starlets!

Holly Golightly's philosophy is strikingly pure (honest, she would say) and her stark monologue to her best friend the writer on her love for José is absolutely brilliant. Capote writes the novel in first person and the storyteller poses himself as the fallen-in-love best friend of the beautiful, wild Holly.

Love and freedom.

No comments: